Friday, February 27, 2009

Fun Facts About Colombia

This is me right now, loving Colombia. We´re in Taganga, a tiny town up north where goats roam the streets and you can buy a meal that will feed a hungry, discerning person for $2 involving fried plantains and shredded fish.

Yesterday we took a motor boat so small it was silly out to Parque Nacional Tayrona. We saw flying. fish. I thought those only existed in certain Super Mario games, but hey, go figure.

The Parque... I mean, here´s the pics I got of it. Whoa. And those don´t even have the beach in them. We´re headed back out tomorrow morning with hammocks and minimal gear to camp in the palm trees, straight guerilla out there into the beyond civilization.
I was reading my travel guide (shocking, I know) about the history of this place and I´m going to play the same game with you as my poor travel buddies. It´s called ´Look How Crazy The Country We´re In Is´. Enjoy.

Did you know! Colombia had a civil war (one of many that´s rocked the country) in 1948 called ¨La Violencia.¨ It killed 300,000 people.

Did you know! In 1982 Colombia elected Pablo Escobar to Congress. His gang, the Medellin Cartel, had it´s own political party and two newspapers. It took 1500 special forces 499 days to track him down and kill him. That was after he was done sponsoring legislation, of course.

Did you know! Guerillas (guerillaing for a vast array of causes) control 40% of the country.

It´s crazy how beautiful the people in this country are for the absolute terror they´ve been through over the last... I don´t know, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment